Along with being functional, lighting fixtures can add ambiance. Highlight your home’s decor with the proper lighting.
- Step 1: Provide functional lighting for grooming with an overhead vanity light combined with side sconces. This combination eliminates facial shadows.
- FACT: As of 2009, the world’s biggest chandelier, located in a mosque in the United Arab Emirates, weighs 9 tons.
- Step 2: Create ambiance in the bedroom with a chandelier and two traditional bedside table lamps or wall sconces. Add a dimmer for mood lighting.
- Step 3: Hang a chandelier in your dining room or entryway for instant drama and brilliance. Choose from a wide variety of styles, from traditional crystal and wrought iron to modern, colored glass versions.
- TIP: Switch your household light fixtures to compact fluorescent bulbs. A compact fluorescent light bulb uses 75 percent less energy and lasts about 10 times longer than an incandescent bulb.
- Step 4: Brighten your kitchen with pendant lights over the eating area or an island. Additional recessed lighting will brighten the room overall.
- Step 5: Brighten a busy living room with overhead recessed can lighting. A floor or table lamp will illuminate dark corners and wall sconces can accent a fireplace and other focal points.