With the right maintenance, your hardwood floors can shine and show off their natural beauty.
- Step 1: Go over stains and heavily trafficked areas with the wood cleaner.
- Step 2: Protect and maintain your hardwood floors by padding the legs of your furniture, using area rugs, trimming your pets' nails, ands by not walking on the floors with shoes.
- FACT: Did you know? Hardwood floors, compared to carpeting, reduce allergic reactions in people with allergies and asthma.
- Step 3: Mop the floor in the direction of the wood grain. Mop it with clean, cold water, and let it dry completely.
- TIP: To remove odors or mildew, use a solution of one-third cup vinegar per gallon of water to wash the floor.
- Step 4: Sweep your floor with a broom and dust it with a dust mop.
- Step 5: Ask at a home-supply or flooring store which specialized cleaner they recommend for your floor. Some cleaners may void your warranty.
- Step 6: Begin by using mild soap and water, mixing about ¼ cup of mild soap per gallon of water. Dip a wet mop in the cleaning mixture and wring it out completely.
- : Make sure the hardwood floor is properly sealed before cleaning to prevent warping of the wood.