The nice thing about converting your garage into living space is that most of the construction has already been done. Here are some guidelines for finishing the job.
- Step 1: Finish the exterior wall and break up the driveway.
- Step 2: Seal the floor with a moisture barrier if it is not completely dry, then build a plywood subfloor on top of it. If the floor is dry you can attach the flooring directly to it. Your new living space is now ready to be a family room, extra bedroom, or guest apartment.
- FACT: _Garage_ comes from the French word meaning "to shelter."
- Step 3: Remove any oil residue for the concrete floor with an oil stain remover.
- TIP: Add one or more windows for natural lighting.
- TIP: Some communities require you to have a covered space for your cars. If so, you may have to build a carport or another garage.
- Step 4: Add insulation and utility runs. If the garage is detached, you have to run wiring overhead or underground to the garage.
- Step 5: Remove the garage door and frame a new wall. Use standard stud construction to match the existing framework in the garage.
- Step 6: Check local building codes before you start.