You don't have to be a professional chef to make these delicious, easy-to-prepare lentil recipes.
- Step 1: Make tomato lentil soup by sauteing the leek, a diced carrot, diced potato, and diced celery in a little bit of vegetable oil. When they're almost tender, add the crushed tomatoes and spicy lentils. Cook until the veggies are tender, and serve with pita bread.
- Step 2: Make rice and lentil salad by separately cooking the 1 cup wild rice, 1 cup brown rice, and 1 cup green lentils. Then combine them with red, green, and yellow bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup chopped basil basil, and 1 tablespoon chopped mint. Toss everything well, refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors mix, and serve with an herb vinaigrette.
- FACT: There is archaeological evidence of lentil cultivation as early as 6000 BCE.
- TIP: You can garnish the soup with a sprinkle of chopped parsley and croutons.
- Step 3: Make lentil soup by washing 3/4 of a cup of red lentils and placing them in a pan with the vegetable stock, a peeled onion, and a tablespoon salt. Boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the soup from the heat and liquefy it in a blender. Return the soup to the pan, add a tablespoon lemon juice, the tomato puree, yeast extract, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir thoroughly to mix, and serve.
- Step 4: Make taco lentils by rinsing 2 1/3 cups green lentils. Boil the lentils in water, and then simmer for 30 minutes. Add the green chiles, tomato sauce, 2 teaspoons of ground cumin and chili powder, 2 minced gloves garlic, 4 teaspoons of taco seasoning, and 2 tablespoons chopped onion. Pour the mixture into a baking dish, cover, and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes. Use instead of beef in tacos or burritos.
- Step 5: Make veggie burgers by pulverizing 1 package of precooked lentils, 3 potatoes and 3 carrots in a food processor. Add 2 egg whites and 1 tablespoon flour for binding, toss in 1 tablespoon of chopped mixed herbs, form into patties, and cook in a nonstick pan.
- Step 6: Combine 3 cups sprouted lentils, parsley, 2 cups shredded carrots, 3 cloves of minced garlic, and the juice from one lemon in a large bowl and refrigerate for an hour to blend the flavors. Enjoy with pita bread.