The cowboy campsite was a staple in Western movies. Here's how to design one of your own.
- Step 1: Lay out your bedroll under the stars when it is time to bed down. Remember: cowboys don't sleep in tents, they sleep on saddle blankets and sheepskins. After a good night's sleep, you'll be ready to go back out and ride the range.
- FACT: Cowboy singer Gene Autry was discovered by Will Rogers in 1927 while singing to himself in an Oklahoma telegraph office.
- Step 2: Make sure you have someone who can sing and play the guitar present. Have them play some cowboy songs, or make a few Old West requests.
- Step 3: Serve cowboy coffee, prepared by boiling water in a pan, adding coffee grounds, and allowing the brew to steep and the grounds to settle.
- Step 4: Remove the saddles from the horses, which should be tied to a rope well away from the chuck wagon.
- TIP: The cook should prepare the grub over an open fire, either in a Dutch over, by barbecuing, or by simply placing the food on the open flames.
- Step 5: Have everyone dress in cowboy boots and hats.