Salsa is a popular Latin dance, but there are many different styles. These steps will walk you through Cuban-style salsa.
- Step 1: Bring your feet together on the third beat and pause on four to move your hips in a clockwise circle.
- Step 2: Repeat by breaking forward with the right foot on five while the woman steps back with her left then continue until you complete the pattern on the other side to beats six and seven.
- Step 3: Pause on the eighth beat, and you have completed an entire basic step. Because of the circling, you should be opposite from where you started.
- FACT: The word salsa means sauce in Spanish and refers to the flavor of the dance.
- Step 4: Circle each other as you dance. The circling technique is a distinct characteristic of Cuban-style salsa.
- Step 5: Change direction on the second beat, leaning in the opposite direction from where you first stepped. The leader shifts his weight to his right foot. The woman shifts to her left.
- TIP: Wearing comfortable clothing will help you move easier when dancing.
- Step 6: Stand opposite your partner to begin the movement The leader takes the woman’s right hand with his left and places his right hand on her back. She places her left hand on his shoulder.
- Step 7: Begin with your feet together. The leader steps back with his left foot on the first beat and the woman steps forward with her right.
- Step 8: Play salsa music. Count the beats from one to eight along with the music.