Use good sense and people skills to deal effectively with a flirty father-in-law while maintaining your in-law relationships.
- Step 1: Continue to respect that your father-in-law has a place in your family, despite his advances. No matter what happens, he'll always be your husband's father.
- FACT: Social anthropologists have suggested that in a normal conversation, up to 65 percent of social meanings are transmitted through body language.
- TIP: Avoid being alone with your father-in-law, when his flirting could potentially escalate. If you find yourself alone, excuse yourself to another room.
- Step 2: Develop a plan and discuss it with your husband. Arrange for a follow-up discussion with your father-in-law present. Keep the conversation focused on you and how you feel.
- Step 3: Don’t respond by flirting back, even you're just trying to be polite. Be yourself around him. Steer conversations away from anything potentially provocative, such as dirty jokes.
- TIP: If your father-in-law attempts to kiss you when saying goodbye, extend your hand instead or turn your cheek.
- Step 4: Set boundaries with your father-in-law, and tell him as soon as he crosses them. Be direct and firm, and ask him not to do it again.