Flies are an annoying nuisance. Luckily, there are ways to get rid of them.
- TIP: Spraying for flies is not recommended, partly because flies can move the toxins in the spray to human food.
- Step 1: You can also try UV bug lights. They attract flies; then zap them. The downside is you can hear the zapping. But if flies are plaguing you, you’re probably willing to do what it takes to bid them adieu.
- FACT: Fruit flies have very similar versions of the genes that promote normal development in humans.
- Step 2: If none of these methods are working, you can use flytraps and sticky strips to nab them.
- Step 3: Clean up any animal waste near your home as soon as possible. Keep kitchen counters clean, as well as the drain on your sink and garbage disposal. Store food in airtight containers.
- TIP: You can also keep flies out by installing beaded curtains.
- Step 4: Keep all indoor garbage cans tightly closed and empty them frequently. Keep all outdoor garbage cans as far from your home as possible and make sure they’re tightly closed.
- TIP: Sprinkle borax at the bottom of your cans to keep fly eggs from hatching.
- Step 5: Keep flies out in the first place by making sure you have no tears in any of your window or door screens. Avoid keeping doors open for longer than necessary.