Create a solid foundation for your child's self-esteem and they will develop a healthy self-image for lifelong success and happiness.
- Step 1: Help a child develop social skills by providing opportunities to interact with others, teaching them how to get along.
- Step 2: Lavish affection freely to foster a child's internal sense of worth and to build healthy confidence in their ability to meet goals, fulfill their potential, and make you proud.
- FACT: Ninety percent of eating disorders are found in girls.
- FACT: Give a child at least four times as many positive comments as critical comments.
- TIP: Give children age-appropriate household chores to build a sense of competence and teamwork.
- Step 3: Encourage competence and mastery by providing constructive activities in which your child experiences a taste of success.
- TIP: Realize that growing self-esteem is a lifelong endeavor.
- Step 4: Provide positive and sincere feedback when a child successfully accomplishes tasks, makes good choices, or behaves appropriately.
- Step 5: Create a safe family environment where your child is respected. Serving as a positive role model enhances the environment.
- Step 6: Treat a child with love, care, and acceptance, beginning in infancy, to develop a foundation for a healthy and balanced self-esteem.