Jive is an energetic dance related to swing dancing that you can do with just a few basic steps.
- Step 1: Dance with your partner beginning with the basic hold. The man's left hand holds the lady's right hand. His right hand goes on her back and her left hand goes on his shoulder. Now start stepping.
- TIP: Keep the hold loose to allow for movement.
- Step 2: Turn on some jive music when you've got the steps down and give it a whirl. Jive is known for its speed so get going as fast as you can.
- FACT: The Bee Gees' number one hit "Jive Talkin'" sold over a million copies in the U.S.
- Step 3: Bring your left foot back in to your right foot if you're the man, and then step right with your right foot and tap your left foot in place to get back to the beginning. Do the opposite if you're the woman.
- Step 4: Perform the same movements with the opposite feet in the opposite direction if you're the woman. All of the steps are the same for both partners, with women using the opposite foot and stepping to the opposite side.
- Step 5: Perform the rock by stepping back with your right foot if you're a woman.
- Step 6: Take a step to your left side with your left foot if you're the man. Then bring your right foot in together with the left. Take another step to the left with your left foot, and then tap your right foot in place.
- TIP: Whenever you take a step, step on the balls of your feet first.
- Step 7: Take one step back with your left foot and tap your right foot in place if you're the man. These two steps are called "the rock," because you're rocking back and forth.