This simple and popular trick will help you on your way to becoming a yo-yo pro.
- Step 1: Twirl the yo-yo 360-degrees through the triangle while pinching the yo-yo string at the tip of the triangle. Spinning the yo-yo in circles makes the "baby" dizzy.
- Step 2: Let go of the yo-yo with your free hand. Flick your wrist and the yo-yo will snap back to your hand, giving you the opportunity to perform more tricks and put on a full yo-yo show.
- FACT: In 1985, NASA astronauts took the first yo-yo into space on the shuttle Discovery. They conducted experiments to see how it would perform without gravity.
- TIP: Shorten the yo-yo string if it is too long. Find the right length for the string by unrolling the yo-yo to the floor and cutting the string at your belly button.
- Step 3: Use your yo-yo hand to grab the string 4 inches above the yo-yo. Raise your yo-yo hand above your free hand to form a triangle with the string and swing the yo-yo in the middle of the triangle.
- TIP: Practice the rock the baby trick without spinning the yo-yo until you have the move down, then try it with spinning.
- Step 4: Raise your hand, holding the yo-yo at head-level. Place your free hand between the string and your body, with your fingers stretched apart and your thumb pointed up.
- Step 5: Grab the string about one-third of the way down with the pinky and thumb tip of your free hand.
- Step 6: Throw the yo-yo into a sleeper by holding it in your upturned palm and flicking your wrist to throw the yo-yo sharply towards the ground. Let it reach the end of the string, but don't jerk it back up, letting it spin at the end of the string.