Whether it's been 6 months or 6 years since your last date, these steps will help get you back in the game.
- Step 1: Abandon any preconceived notions you have about the type of person you want to date. You'll never end a dating dry spell if a potential partner has to fulfill a list of requirements before you'll agree to have coffee with them.
- Step 2: Think positively. You can't end a dating dry spell with the attitude that dating sucks and you'll never find the right person, because it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- FACT: In a survey, 66 percent of people said they decide on a first date within 30 minutes whether they'll see the other person again.
- TIP: Attend a few events alone so you'll be more approachable and more likely to socialize with new people.
- Step 3: Be bold: Strike up conversations with strangers, and if you see someone you like, ask them out. The more often you do it, the easier it will become.
- Step 4: Throw a party and ask all your friends to bring their friends, letting everyone know you're ready to date again; it's a fun, casual way to widen your social network. Even if no one you meet that night is right for you, your new contacts may know someone who is.
- Step 5: Go on practice dates. Think of dating as job-hunting: it's good experience to go on the interview even if you're not interested in the position. Who knows -- you may end up liking one of your dry runs.
- Step 6: Become active online: join a dating website and set up a Facebook page if you don't already have one. One-fifth of married couples ages 20 to 44 surveyed met online, and according to one estimate, those online meetings result in more than 120,000 marriages a year.