Pregnancy can be an overwhelming time in a woman's life and selecting the right doctor can make all the difference. Follow this advice to make sure you get it right from the start.
- Step 1: Confirm that your doctor provides the procedures you are seeking.
- Step 2: Verify that the doctor you choose is a member of the American Board of Obstetricians and Gynecologists You can find this at abog.org.
- FACT: Obstetricians must be recertified every 10 years.
- TIP: It is important to feel comfortable with the doctor’s demeanor. You will need to discuss your private health issues with the doctor you choose.
- Step 3: Schedule a meeting with the doctor before your first physical examination to discuss your medical needs.
- Step 4: Make sure the doctor accepts your medical insurance.
- Step 5: Find out in which hospital the doctor is allowed to practice.
- TIP: Not all hospitals have a neonatal intensive care unit for premature infants or babies born with medical issues. Your newborn may have to be transferred to obtain the proper care.
- Step 6: Get referrals from friends, family members, and your family physician.