Not all plastic surgeons are created equally, so follow these steps to find the best one for you.
- Step 1: Establish at which hospitals they can perform the surgery. Hospital privileges are important for post-procedure complications.
- Step 2: Contact your state medical board to confirm their credentials and inquire about their safety record.
- FACT: Breast augmentation was the most popular U.S. cosmetic surgical procedure in 2008, with more than 300,000 performed.
- TIP: A thorough consultation should last 30 to 45 minutes.
- Step 3: Schedule a consultation. Make a list of questions covering everything from anesthesia to costs to recovery. Don’t be afraid to ask how many times they have performed your procedure. Your doctor should welcome your questions and answer them thoroughly.
- Step 4: Be wary of finding doctors based on advertising. Doctors are free to list under any specialty they like and can advertise services regardless of training and credentials.
- Step 5: Select a physician who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. All surgeons can perform plastic surgery, but board-certified doctors are specialists.
- TIP: Select a plastic surgeon who is a member of a professional organization that requires member doctors to meet certain standards regarding safety, training, and experience.
- Step 6: Have realistic goals. Use plastic surgery to enhance your own looks – not to look like someone else. A good doctor will tell you what’s possible and what’s unadvisable.