Follow these basic etiquette rules when planning your mother-of-the-bride attire.
- Step 1: Consider the time of year the wedding will be held. Winter and fall weddings require heavy fabrics and darker colors. A summer wedding will require lighter fabrics and colors.
- Step 2: Add a corsage or small bouquet for the finishing touch. Enjoy the special day.
- FACT: Mother of the bride apparel makes up 1.7 percent of the average wedding budget.
- Step 3: Pick a shoe that is comfortable yet dressy. Short heel, long heel, and flats are all acceptable as long as they are elegant.
- TIP: Black, white, and bright colors are discouraged.
- TIP: The dresses should complement each other as well as the bridesmaids' dresses.
- Step 4: Select a classy and elegant dress. The length of the dress should be tea length or floor length.
- Step 5: Choose a color that contains the same predominant color as the bridesmaids'.
- Step 6: Follow tradition by choosing the mother-of-the-bride dress first, followed by the mother-of-the-groom.