Obtaining a medical alert bracelet is easier than you think.
- TIP: Choose an easily recognizable bracelet style.
- Step 1: Call the medical-bracelet company you've chosen, and order a personalized bracelet with your name and medical information on it. Some companies also allow you to order your bracelet and sign up for their services online.
- FACT: The emergency medical care symbol known as the Star of Life was designed in 1973 and patented in 1977.
- Step 2: Decide on a style of medical alert bracelet. Choose materials that fit your lifestyle – if you're very active, you may prefer a sports or stretch elastic band. If you like to wear fashionable or elegant jewelry, you may prefer to go with a dog-tag style in sterling silver or gold.
- Step 3: Get an application from a doctor's office, pharmacy, medical supply store, or from the company's web site.
- Step 4: Ask your doctor to write down the medical abbreviations for your conditions.
- Step 5: Choose a company based on the severity of your condition, the amount you're willing to spend, and your doctor's recommendations.
- Step 6: Talk to your doctor and go online to research medical-bracelet providers by typing "medical bracelet" into a search engine. Each provider offers a range of services, from home alarms to an online medical registry to a 24-hour emergency-response service.