You are ready to move up the company ladder, but first you have to show your boss why you deserve a boost.
- Step 1: Take a long look in the mirror and ask yourself what you have done to earn a promotion. Being able to identify why you deserve a promotion will help you communicate to others why you deserve one.
- Step 2: Ask for the promotion. You'll never know unless you ask. Set up a meeting with your boss, and be clear about your reason for the meeting.
- Step 3: Detail what you want out of the promotion. What kind of promotion are you looking for, and what is your timeline? Work with your boss to get what you want and leave the meeting happy.
- FACT: According to a survey, the best job to have in 2010 was an actuary, because it involved little stress and the field had a lot of growth potential.
- Step 4: Accept credit for your accomplishments at work. Don't let someone else take credit for your work. If your boss commends you for a job well done, be gracious and thankful.
- TIP: Promote yourself by talking about what you do for the company, but don't boast.
- TIP: Document your impact on the company in a way that is quantifiable so you can show your boss.
- Step 5: Be an assertive employee who is always willing to volunteer to take on new challenges. Don't just go through the motions. Instead, be active at your job and you will be more likely to get noticed -- and promoted.
- Step 6: Network with your bosses and coworkers. Attend company gatherings so you become a familiar face.
- Step 7: Find a way to save your company money. Nothing will get you more attention at work than if you cut you company's costs in a way that doesn't sacrifice quality.