Everyone gets a skin blemish now and then, but you can take steps to minimize acne breakouts.
- Step 1: Change your diet by including strawberries, citrus fruits, red peppers, and broccoli for smooth skin; sunflower seeds and almonds for sun protection; water to hydrate; and whole grains for a clearer complexion. Once you've completed your regimen, and protected your face from the sun, go out and put your best face forward.
- FACT: Three factors cause acne to form: overproduction of sebum or oil, hair follicle irritation, and bacteria buildup.
- Step 2: Moisturize with an oil-free lotion or moisturizer with SPF. Apply while the skin is still damp and blend softly. Your skin should feel moisturized, not greasy. This is one of the most important steps to obtain clear skin.
- Step 3: Exfoliate the dead skin cells away once or twice a week. There are several methods to exfoliate to choose from. There are cleansers with exfoliating beads, peels, and sponges, and even a surgical process called dermabrasion to refine the skin's surface. Try a few to see what works best for you.
- TIP: If you're prone to breakouts, try a sulfur mask. It helps smooth and calm your pores. Using overnight acne masks can help too.
- Step 4: Cleanse your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser. Choose a cleanser according to your skin type. If you have oily, acne-prone skin, use a cleanser with salicylic acid; if you have dry skin, use a mild product.