If that flabby physique needs a little work, this guide will help you quickly firm up those arms and legs for your next beach retreat.
- Step 1: Exercise between 3 and 5 times a week, with rest days to allow your muscles to heal and rejuvenate.
- Step 2: Drink more water to expel the salt in your system, which can make you look puffy and hide your newly defined muscles.
- Step 3: Eat clean, with a diet consisting of mostly fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and get enough rest to recover and repair your body. In just a few weeks, you'll feel the difference these exercises and good habits can make!
- FACT: Human muscles are composed of 2 main types of fibers: fast twitch, which aid with endurance, and slow twitch, which give muscles their power.
- TIP: Pick up a workout DVD for the home or office if you're too embarrassed to take a class or just don't have the time.
- Step 4: Try a Pilates or yoga class to build muscle tone, flexibility, and strength without adding too much bulk.
- TIP: If your gym doesn't have a cable machine, focus on push-ups, lunges, squats, and sit-ups to train the abs and core.
- Step 5: Increase the amount of weight you can handle and work eight to 12 reps for each exercise to get the blood pumping.
- TIP: Lifting more reps of less weight will tone the muscle you already have, while lifting less reps of more weight will add more muscle, making your muscles appear bulky.
- Step 6: Pony up to the cable machine for constant tension, smoother movements, and a greater range of motion to create more definition.