Although soft and feminine, zigzag curls lend a decidedly modern edge to any hairstyle. Learn how to create these cutting-edge curls with a variety of high- and low-tech styling tools.
- Step 1: Wrap sections of slightly-damp hair around tongue depressors or popsicle sticks and secure with hair clips for a low-tech solution. Keep curls in place overnight, unwrap in the morning, and shake loose. You'll wake up and be ready to go with bouncy zigzag curls.
- Step 2: Apply a wax pomade or hair spray when finished styling to help keep curls in place. Use your fingers to gently push curls into place and enjoy your modern style.
- FACT: The number of disulfide bonds between hair proteins determines whether hair is curly or straight. The more disulfide bonds, the curlier the hair.
- Step 3: Separate your hair into sections with a comb and heat up your hair straightener for a different zigzag style. Open the straightener and insert hair. While holding hair taut, flex your wrist back and forth as you pull the straightener down over the hair. This technique produces loose, wavy zigzag curls, ideal for long hair.
- Step 4: Use a comb to separate your hair into sections. Heat up the flat-barrel curling iron and wrap a section of hair around the barrel, from the roots to the ends. Hold in place for 5 seconds, then release. This should produce a romantic, soft zigzag curl.
- TIP: Curling irons and hair straighteners can be purchased at local grocery or beauty supply stores. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
- Step 5: Spray your hair with a heat protection mist to protect the hair shaft from the intense heat of styling tools. This also helps to reduce frizziness.
- Step 6: Wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner and towel dry. Apply a dollop of gel or mousse for increased volume, then dry your hair thoroughly with a blow dryer.