By focusing your business on customer service, you can gain loyal customers and create a booming business!
- Step 1: Teach customer service representatives not to make promises that they can't keep. Tell them it's important to be honest with your customers and explain why something won't work or can't be done, and then try to work out something acceptable. Your customers will appreciate the respect.
- Step 2: Treat your customer service representatives with respect. You can't expect them to solve the company's problems and deal with dissatisfied customers with any degree of respect if they're not getting the same treatment from the top down.
- FACT: Of all the companies on the Fortune 500 list in 1965, 19 percent remained on the list as of 2010.
- TIP: Teach employees to follow up with customers to make sure their issues were resolved.
- Step 3: Train employees to determine exactly where the customer's problem lies. Often, all the customer knows is that something isn't working. With all of the product overlap in today's marketplace, it's up to you to define what the problem is and how to go about correcting it.
- Step 4: Teach each employee to act as a concierge by going the extra mile for your customer. Devise creative ways to solve problems with a personalized touch to instill brand loyalty in your customers.
- TIP: Deal with a problem by solving the problem. If a customer has a complaint about a product's performance, fix the performance -- don't try to placate the customer by offering a gift certificate.
- Step 5: Maintain an atmosphere in which customer service is a given. Involve training as part of the everyday culture at work. Make excellent customer service and service training an ongoing part of your business.