Give your special guy an out-of-this-world experience -- the feeling of hurtling through space while manning a space shuttle during an exciting astronaut training program.
- Step 1: Make a reservation online at ksctickets.com/atx.html or call 866-737-5235. Space is limited, so have several dates available.
- Step 2: Pay the cost of the experience. Or shell out for 2 tickets, and go with him for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- FACT: The space shuttle circles the planet at 17,500 miles per hour when in orbit, which means that the crew witnesses a sunrise or sunset every 45 minutes.
- Step 3: Understand that there are height and weight restrictions on some simulators and those with neck or back injuries shouldn't attend. Participants should wear shorts or pants -- skirts are not recommended -- and athletic footwear. All participants must supply a photo ID.
- Step 4: Select either the morning or afternoon program. Check-in for the morning program is at 8:30 a.m., with the program beginning at 9:00 a.m., and ending between 12:50 and 1:30 p.m. Check-in is at 1:00 p.m. for the afternoon program, which starts at 1:30 p.m. and ends between 5:40 and 6:00 p.m.
- TIP: Participants under the age of 18 need to be accompanied by an adult.
- Step 5: Know that the program offers spaceflight training simulators, a full-scale space shuttle mission simulation, and ATX gear, including a Mission Polo Shirt.
- Step 6: Learn about Kennedy Space Center's Astronaut Training Experience, or ATX. Located 45 minutes east of Orlando, Florida, ATX is a half-day-long, authentic astronaut training experience. Unlike other space camps designed for children, anyone over the age of 14 can attend ATX.