To keep your pet turtles healthy, it is essential that you change their water frequently. With clean water, your pet turtles will thrive.
- TIP: You can remove the chlorine from tap water by letting the water stand uncovered for 24 hours.
- Step 1: Remember to increase the frequency of water changes as you increase the feeding frequency. Turtle food can foul water quickly. Watch your turtles thrive when they have fresh, clean water.
- FACT: Box turtles commonly live for 25 to 30 years.
- Step 2: Replace the water in the aquarium with tap water that is approximately the same temperature as the water that you removed. Abrupt water temperature changes can be harmful to your turtles.
- Step 3: Empty and then scrub and rinse the aquarium. This will remove bacterial growth from the sides of the tank.
- Step 4: Replace all of the water in the tank. Partial changes are not sufficient to ensure your turtles' health.
- Step 5: Change the water in small aquariums -- up to 10 gallons -- in a sink or bathtub, where you can rinse the aquarium. If you have a larger aquarium, you will have to drain it.
- Step 6: Change the water in a 10-gallon aquarium housing up to three 4-inch turtles two or three times a week. A 50-gallon tank should be changed at least once a week.