Tired of all those dumb blonde jokes? Follow these tips to change your color, and see what happens when you go to the dark side.
- TIP: Ease into your change from blonde to brunette. Start with a few lowlights, gradually adding more until you reach an allover brown.
- Step 1: Rinse your hair and dry it to see your final look. Use specially-designed shampoos and conditioners to maintain your color.
- Step 2: Make a note of the hair color brand and shade you used. Recolor your hair every four to six weeks to maintain your look.
- FACT: Studies have shown that women with any type of blonde hair are perceived as less intelligent but more attractive.
- Step 3: Apply the permanent hair color to your hair as indicated on the kit's packaging insert. Be sure to use the gloves provided and to carefully follow the directions.
- TIP: Wear a smock to protect your clothing while you're bleaching and coloring your hair.
- TIP: Visit a professional colorist. A major change in hair color is a tricky process, and it can be tough to get a perfect look at home.
- Step 4: Use a quality daily conditioner for a few weeks before you color your hair to add strength and moisture.
- Step 5: Test a small portion of hair with your coloring kit to determine if you have any allergies to the chemicals. Conduct the test 24 to 48 hours before dying your hair.
- Step 6: Choose the right shade of brunette for your skin tone. Try a deep auburn if you look best in warm tones, while ash brown works best for cool tones.