If you love the great outdoors but hate roughing it, you might like glamping -- glamorous camping. See what it takes to be a happy glamper.
- Step 1: Want to really relax? Book an escorted expedition with a staff to guide you through the wilderness, set up your tent, and cook and clean for you.
- Step 2: Don't forget the sunscreen and insect repellent! No matter how upscale your glamping trip is, you still have to shield yourself from the elements.
- FACT: 88 percent of travelers have been camping, but only 15 percent have ever been glamping, according to a 2009 survey.
- Step 3: Forget the s'mores and trail mix. Bring the food, utensils, and a camp stove with at least 2 burners to make gourmet meals.
- Step 4: If you're staying in a tent, pack lots of creature comforts -- glamping is all about making yourself comfortable.
- TIP: Be aware that a 5-star glamping trip usually comes with a 5-star bill.
- Step 5: Consider renting an RV or low-cost cabin in a state park. Or book a bungalow in a KOA Kampground. Located throughout the U.S. and Canada, their campsites offer amenities like climbing walls, petting zoos, pools, movie screenings, laundry facilities and shower stalls.
- TIP: Book state park cabins well in advance; they go fast.
- Step 6: Decide how luxurious you want your glamping trip to be. Some glam camping accommodations feature tents with wooden floors, beds, and rugs, plus spa facilities and gourmet restaurants on site. Others simply provide campers with a pre-pitched tent and a grill.