Handle a car accident safely by reviewing these instructions.
- Step 1: Have your vehicle towed to a repair shop, unless it's a minor fender bender.
- TIP: If another party was at fault, have your vehicle towed, regardless of the amount of damage.
- Step 2: Call your insurance company as soon as possible and give them all the details.
- FACT: About 40 percent of traffic fatalities during the winter holidays are alcohol-related.
- Step 3: Take pictures of your car and the other cars involved in the accident. The pictures can back you up if you're not at fault and the case is being contested.
- Step 4: Exchange information with all parties involved. Get names, addresses, phone numbers; car years, makes, and models; license plate numbers; and insurance information.
- Step 5: Don't panic. Remain calm and check to see if anyone is injured.
- Step 6: Take the keys out of the ignition and get everyone out of the car. Move a safe distance away from the car and the road.
- Step 7: Call 911 if anyone's been injured. Then call the local police so they can come and file a report.
- TIP: Note the police case number.
- Step 8: Pull over to the side of the road and turn off the car.