Looking to recruit top-notch talent for your company in a short amount of time? Organize and host your own job fair and let your future employees come to you.
- Step 1: Recruit employers to operate each booth at your job fair. Contact the correct department or person and tell them of the date, location, and any fees.
- Step 2: Advertise early on radio and television. Buy newspaper ads and post flyers near college campuses. Target areas based on your chosen area of focus. With early planning and advertising, your job fair will score big.
- FACT: In 1933, at the height of the Great Depression, 25 percent of all American workers and 37 percent of all non-farm workers were unemployed.
- Step 3: Piece together a budget that includes rental of the space, any food or drink for the employers, and advertising for the event. Calculate how much to charge for each booth to cover costs.
- TIP: Book a date three to six months before your job fair to give you time to plan and advertise.
- Step 4: Focus on one area of employment, such as health care, technology, manufacturing, or entry-level positions for college students looking for a career.
- Step 5: Pick a location to hold your job fair, like a college campus, hotel, or convention center. Take a tour before committing so you can make sure you have something with enough room and any necessary amenities.
- Step 6: Tour other job fairs in your city to get a feel for the setup, how they are run, and what to expect when you organize your own event.