Are you open to all the world has to offer? There are reliable ways to make sure.
- Step 1: Travel to places outside your comfort zone and experience a different culture. Challenge your assumptions by cultivating a sense of adventure.
- Step 2: Let go of your desire to know everything. Consider any prejudices or intolerance you hold onto, and discover new ways to feel, operate, and think.
- FACT: A conflict resolution program in a New York City school reported a 71 percent decrease in physical violence, and a general acceptance of differences among students.
- Step 3: When new information threatens your position on a specific issue, realize that you aren't perfect. Admit your mistakes and allow yourself to learn new things.
- TIP: Open minds are the product of critical thinking, maturity, empathy, and reason.
- Step 4: Avoid belittling others. Consider how you feel when your feelings or views are criticized.
- Step 5: Listen to and objectively consider opposing or alternative views. Avoid prejudice and ask for clarification.
- Step 6: Suspend judgment. Accept that a difference of opinion doesn't make someone wrong.