Visionaries are people who can take a potpourri of ideas, and use the ideas to devise plans that will change the world. Their secret is being able to draw on a vision that will help them get there.
- Step 1: Live the vision. Unless you can demonstrate how visions affect your day-to-day life and activities, you will have trouble getting others to believe in them. Now go ahead and pursue your vision quest.
- FACT: When Microsoft was in a start-up phase, its vision statement was to put a computer in every home.
- Step 2: Promote your vision. Believe in it, and try to sell it to others. Use rewards to inspire others to try to make the vision a reality.
- TIP: Don't be afraid to alter the vision if it is not working for you.
- Step 3: Brainstorm and come up with a vision statement. Keep the statement simple -- it will be easier for others to relate to if they can visualize it.
- Step 4: Select an achievable goal, or at least one that is not so untenable as to be dismissed by others outright.
- Step 5: Have a vision because you want to, not because everyone else has one. The purpose of the vision should be to provide you or your company with a sense of direction. For example, you might have a vision of your company becoming the market leader in its niche.