Getting ready for a virtual date? Make it successful with these tips.
- Step 1: Remember to smile, especially if this is your first date; you want to come across as friendly. Don't monopolize the conversation, but don't let the other person do all the talking, either. Have a cheat sheet -- out of camera view -- with conversation starters in case you get tongue-tied or want to switch gears.
- Step 2: Cut the other person some slack. Having a webcam date can be stressful, so give them the a little more benefit of the doubt than you would on an in-person date. You can always pull the plug on the evening if it turns out your instincts were right.
- FACT: 75 percent of men polled liked the idea of webcam dating, compared to 44 percent of women.
- TIP: Elevate your webcam slightly if you're worried about a double chin.
- Step 3: Position yourself so that you are seen from the armpits up. Position the camera so it's at eye level. Remove anything from the background that's distracting or embarrassing.
- TIP: If you're a woman, go easy on foundation and powder: the camera picks up every layer.
- Step 4: Wear something red; people often find the opposite sex more attractive when they're wearing red. And make it a solid color; patterns don't translate well on a webcam.
- Step 5: Turn on a desk lamp, or move near a window to light your face. Just make sure the light is not directly beside you or behind you; the most flattering light is the one that illuminates your face at an angle.