Interested in approaching life more holistically? Here are a few tips to get started designing a Zen room of your own.
- Step 1: Eliminate any obstacles to harmony in the room. Avoid clutter and unnecessary items that might get in the way of your "being" in the room. Now you can enjoy being there.
- FACT: Zen Buddhism arrived in Japan in the seventh century from China, but was not firmly established in Japan until the 12th century.
- Step 2: Use natural materials when decorating. Choose earthy color tones and furniture with clean lines that is in keeping with the color scheme.
- Step 3: When you choose the room's decor, strive for simplicity. Zen decor is minimalistic, and each item in the room should have a specific use.
- Step 4: Use natural lighting. Large windows that that let in lots of light help create a relaxing feeling.
- Step 5: Choose a room that is quiet and free of distractions. This will make it easier to slip into a meditative state of mind.