A 7.0 magnitude earthquake brought untold death and destruction when it hit Haiti's capital, Port-au-Prince. Help its residents begin to heal with a generous monetary donation.
- Step 1: Consider donating to other organizations that have set up funds for Haiti. For a list, go to interaction.org.
- Step 2: Focus on financial help in the immediate aftermath of the quake. There may be opportunities later to organize clothing drives and gather other non-monetary supplies for the people of Haiti, but at the moment the best way to help is with cash.
- FACT: The earthquake that hit Haiti was as powerful as several nuclear bombs going off.
- Step 3: Donate to musician Wyclef Jean’s Yele Haiti Earthquake Fund at yele.org. Yele has promised to use all funds for Haiti relief efforts. Or make a $5 donation by texting YELE to 501501.
- Step 4: If you'd like your money targeted for Haiti's children, consider donating to UNICEF's Haiti Earthquake Relief Fund; visit unicefusa.org/haitiquake or calling 1-800-4UNICEF.
- TIP: Donate $10 to the American Red Cross Haiti Relief Fund by texting HAITI to 90999.
- Step 5: Give to the Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund, created by former Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. There are three ways to donate: Send $10 by texting the word "QUAKE" to 20222; make an online contribution at clintonbushhaitifund.org; or send a check payable to The Clinton Bush Haiti Fund and mail it to either the William J. Clinton Foundation or in care of Communities Foundation of Texas.
- Step 6: Give to American Red Cross' International Response Fund by calling 1-800-RED-CROSS, or online at redcross.org. Call 1-800-257-7575 for a Spanish-speaking operator. You may specify that you want your contribution earmarked for their Haitian relief efforts.