If you suspect that someone you know suffers from this mental illness, help them get the help they need.
- Step 1: Offer to help find a medical professional they can talk to. Volunteer to come along.
- Step 2: Listen with compassion. Bulimia can be diagnosed only by a licensed professional but you can assist in their mental healing by being there for them and being a good listener.
- FACT: Feel-good endorphins are released after vomiting, making the bulimic feel pleasure.
- Step 3: Withhold judgment and try to build up their self-image.
- TIP: A one-on-one intervention may be more appropriate.
- Step 4: Encourage them to open up about their problems. Most people who suffer from bulimia have underlying issues of depression.
- Step 5: Call family and friends to schedule a meeting with the person. Use caution and let the person know that you are there to help.
- Step 6: Learn how bulimia affects people. If an intervention is needed, everyone involved needs to communicate with the victim in a language they will understand.