Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809. Here are some ways to honor the 16th president's birthday.
- Step 1: Pay a visit to the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. Lincoln served as the nation's 16th president in Washington until his assassination in 1865. Now you can feel that you have properly honored this great man.
- FACT: When the Lincoln penny made its debut in 1909, the motto "In God We Trust" appeared for the first time on the penny as well.
- Step 2: Visit Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address here on November 19, 1863, declaring that the United States was a government "of the people, by the people and for the people."
- TIP: Lincoln and his wife Mary Todd Lincoln lived in Springfield for many years prior to his election to the presidency.
- Step 3: Take a trip to Springfield, Illinois, where Lincoln served in the state legislature. After all, Illinois is known as the "Land of Lincoln."
- Step 4: Visit Sinking Springs Farm in Hardin County, Kentucky. Lincoln was born there in a log cabin.