Being exposed to insults on a regular basis can lead to low self-esteem, anxiety, and depression. Stay positive with these steps to help ignore the verbal abuse.
- Step 1: Do not respond to insults. Don't say or do anything regardless of the insult.
- Step 2: Walk away if you're insulted to your face, and do not respond to insulting phone messages, e-mails, or instant messages.
- Step 3: Show confidence by walking with your head high and your shoulders back.
- Step 4: Use humor to confuse or disarm the abuser. Make the insult into a joke without escalating the tension.
- TIP: Do not attack the insulter.
- Step 5: Release any frustrations that build up through physical activities such as playing your favorite sport or expressing your feelings on paper.
- Step 6: Talk openly with your friends, teachers, and family about what is going on in your life.
- Step 7: Learn to feel good about yourself and welcome healthy, positive relationships by focusing on the things you love to do.
- FACT: Emotional abuse includes humiliating someone, isolating them from friends and family, or making them feel less smart.