Make sure your "I dos" go as smoothly as possible by safeguarding your precious wedding rings.
- Step 1: Give the groom's ring to the maid of honor to wear on her thumb, the safest place to keep it until the vows are exchanged. Now rest easy knowing the rings are safe.
- FACT: A survey by The Knot, Inc. found that the average cost of an engagement ring was about $5,800 in 2009.
- Step 2: Make sure the best man has the bride's ring in a secure, easy-to-access spot, like a pocket, but make sure there are no holes.
- Step 3: Store rings with diamonds in a separate pouch or box to ensure they don't scratch other jewelry.
- Step 4: Put them in a secure and memorable location, such as a home safe or safety deposit box.
- TIP: Jewelry boxes and dresser drawers are often the first place a thief will look for valuables.
- Step 5: Have your rings insured to protect against theft, fire, or loss. Most companies let you include your rings under your homeowner's insurance or you can buy separate insurance for your rings alone.