Resolved to lose weight this year? Jump-start your new year diet with these tips.
- Step 1: Fill up on foods that are low in calories, filling, and nutritious, like apples; non-fat, low-sugar yogurt; eggs; and plain, baked or boiled potatoes.
- Step 2: Skip a meal every so often. Research shows you won't make up for it at the next one. And missing a few meals won't kill you: Indeed, calorie restriction has been linked with longevity. Good luck!
- FACT: People who made weight loss their New Year's resolution were less successful at shedding pounds than those whose priority was to "build a strong foundation of healthy habits."
- Step 3: Try a cleanse -- but not a crazy restrictive one. Just eliminate added sugar, saturated fats, and alcohol for a few weeks to kick-start your new year diet and weight loss plan.
- TIP: Cardiovascular exercise, like walking or biking, burns more calories than strength or resistance training.
- Step 4: Clear your cupboards of junk food and any high-calorie treats you can't resist. Out-of-sight, out-of-mind has proven a good policy for people trying to lose weight.
- Step 5: Start exercising; it suppresses appetite and boosts metabolism, two key components of getting your new year diet off to a good start.
- Step 6: Begin with a one-day fast: Eat nothing, and drink only water. In addition to helping kick-start a weight loss plan, it's even good for you: People who fast once a month have lower rates of heart disease.