For some people, growing older gracefully means embracing their naturally graying hair. Allow your hair to go gray without sacrificing your confidence with these tips.
- Step 1: Get plenty of vitamins and eat a diet rich in antioxidants to condition your hair from the inside out. Drink lots of water to maintain shine.
- Step 2: If you're a woman, update your makeup to complement your new hair. Gray hair can change the appearance of your skin tone, so try out some new colors. Have confidence that you're beautiful with natural gray hair.
- FACT: Hair turns gray when cells stop producing the color pigment melanin.
- Step 3: Use finishing products on your hair after you wash and style it. Finishing products can add gloss and shine and add a youthful glow to your hair.
- Step 4: Change your hairstyle to feel good about your hair and to distract from the transition to gray.
- Step 5: Grow your gray hair gradually if you've been coloring it for a long time. Have highlights done by a stylist to reduce the shock of two-toned hair.
- Step 6: Maintain a healthy head of hair. Gray hair can be more wiry and coarse than colored hair, so use deep conditioning treatments to add gloss and shine.
- TIP: Use shampoo and conditioner formulated for gray hair.
- Step 7: Retain your confidence. Going gray doesn't have to mean looking old, and artificially colored hair doesn't always look better.