It can be difficult to cope with a failed marriage. Readjusting to living alone, however, can be a chance to reconnect with yourself and do things that you enjoy -- without having to compromise.
- Step 1: Seek companions who understand where you are coming from. A lot of people go through divorce -- you aren't the only one. Living alone can be just as enjoyable as living with someone, as long as you are willing to accept your new lifestyle.
- FACT: According to the CDC, Nevada has consistently had the highest divorce rate of any state in the United States since 1990.
- Step 2: Redecorate the house or your new place in a way that makes you feel like it is your home. Decor can bring back memories that may be painful for a while. A change of scenery can be refreshing.
- Step 3: Learn to motivate yourself. It can be easy to just give up the productive activities you do, like making home repairs, because you will be the only one who would notice.
- Step 4: Find comfort in an activity such as yoga or meditation. These are things anyone can do alone that bring peace and comfort.
- TIP: Recall feelings that you have had while doing something alone that you enjoy. Let that memory remind you of the peacefulness that can come with solitude.
- Step 5: Distinguish between being alone and being lonely. Just because you are alone doesn't mean you have to be lonely.