Many people have found creative ways to reduce their expenses, including living rent-free.
- Step 1: Live on a boat if you live someplace with a warm climate. Boat owners sometimes look for people to live on their boats while in dock. In exchange for cleaning and making sure the boat is safe from thieves and vandals, you may be allowed to live on it rent-free.
- FACT: Between 1997 and 2001, the number of available rental housing units declined 13 percent.
- Step 2: Rent out a room in your house or apartment. If your rental fees cover the mortgage, you will have a place to live at no cost.
- Step 3: House-sit. In exchange for looking after someone's house while they are away, you may be able to stay in the home, rent-free.
- TIP: Consider moving back home. If you choose to do this, you should offer to do the same chores that you would if you were living in a stranger's home.
- Step 4: Take a room in someone's home in exchange for helping out with basic chores, like cooking, cleaning, and running errands.