VLC is a media player that can work with either Windows or Mac to play DVDs, CDs, and most video formats. In addition, VLC media player can stream live video.
- TIP: Click File and enter a location if you want to save your live stream to your computer.
- Step 1: Check mark the Video and Audio codec under transcoding. Under the Video drop down menu, select mp4v, and select mpga under the Audio drop down menu and click OK. You are now live streaming from your computer's IP address.
- Step 2: Have others view your video by using VLC media player. Give them the IP address of your computer. Have them open VLC player on their computer, and go to File. Under Open Network they can key in the IP address, and this will allow them to watch your stream.
- FACT: In the 1990s, one of the first webcams was set up by the staff of Cambridge University to monitor whether the coffee pot in the Trojan Room was filled or not.
- Step 3: Click Stream, select HTTP under Type, and fill in your computer's IP address under Address. To find your IP address on a PC, go to Start, All Programs, click Accessories, and open Command Prompt. Type "ipconfig" and press Enter. On a Mac, click the apple, go to System Preferences, and click the Network pane. The IP address is under Status.
- Step 4: Check the Streaming/Saving box, and click the Settings button. Check the box that says Play locally or Display the stream locally. This will show your image on your monitor.
- Step 5: Add VLC to your computer's firewall exception if you are working on a PC. Go to the Start menu, and select Control Panel. Open the Windows Firewall, and go to the Exceptions tab. VLC should be on the list. If it is not, add it by clicking Add Program, selecting it, and clicking Add.
- Step 6: Set up your webcam or external camera. If you're using an external camera, make sure it is properly connected and installed. Open VLC player, and click File, Open Capture Device, and click the Capture tab. Select the name of your video device.
- TIP: Use VLC player to live stream media files and discs.
- Step 7: Download the VLC media player to your computer if you haven't already. VLC is available for free online, and works on both the Mac and Windows operating systems.