If your work ethic is to avoid it whenever possible, here are some tips you can use.
- Step 1: By 2:30 in the afternoon, make sure your appearance is disheveled as further proof of how industrious you are. Men, loosen your ties. Women, place pens behind your ears and roll up your sleeves.
- Step 2: Dial phone numbers with automated messages so you can strategically be overheard saying key phrases like "I'll get on it right away" or "Coming right up."
- FACT: Research shows the typical worker wastes more than two hours in an eight-hour workday.
- TIP: At least once a week, stay later than everyone else, especially the boss. Even if you stay only 15 minutes later, this gives the appearance of diligence.
- Step 3: Keep numerous stacks of paper on all surfaces of your cubicle or workspace.
- Step 4: Fill your calendar with numerous cryptic reminders and appointments that no one else could possibly decipher. Enter a check next to some of them. Your boss will look elsewhere when assigning new projects.
- TIP: Don't use sticky notes to mark your calendar. You want permanent visible evidence of just how busy you are.
- Step 5: When you leave your desk, always carry a legal pad or file folder with you, preferably close to your chest.
- Step 6: Use either a bogus spreadsheet or a legitimate business email as your screensaver. If anyone interrupts your web surfing, you're hard at work with a mere click of your mouse.