If you love your favorite candies so much you want to take a crack at making them yourself, here are a few tips to get you started.
- Step 1: Choose a favorite candy bar and cut it in half. Study the layers and develop a general idea of what you want.
- Step 2: Use a sugar cookie or shortbread mix and cookie cutters to form a cookie base, which most candy bars start with for binding and structure.
- Step 3: Melt and temper the chocolate for texture. Stir it as it cools to align the sugar crystals.
- TIP: You can use milk chocolate or try dark, semi-sweet, or white chocolate.
- Step 4: Build layers of cookie, nuts, coconut, caramel, or marshmallow, and either dip bars cut with your cookie cutters into the chocolate or pour the chocolate over the formed bars.
- TIP: Invest in silicone or plastic candy molds to make the process easier.
- Step 5: Allow the bars to cool on a wire rack over a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Step 6: Experiment with different combinations, layers, and ingredients. Don't be afraid to go where no candy maker has gone before.
- FACT: About 600 million pounds of candy are sold during the Halloween season.