Don't run from store to store trying find accessories that match your bathroom decor. Make your own custom bath set and get a one-of-a-kind look.
- Step 1: Paint the surface of both containers with clear coat and then lay the napkin images directly onto the newly painted surface, smoothing the napkin with your fingertips.
- Step 2: Apply one or two more layers of clear coat to the surface of the box, box lid, and jar, and allow them to dry overnight. Put bath salts, jewelry, cotton swabs, or just about any other bath accoutrement you can think of inside your new chichi containers.
- FACT: To keep up with popular demand for Chinese lacquered furniture during the 17th century, counterfeiters started gluing pictures to furniture and coating them in lacquer.
- Step 3: Cut out the printed section of the napkin you want on the jar and box. Separate the napkin layers until you have only the printed top layer.
- TIP: Light base colors will allow the napkin image to really show up on the surface, but you can also use metallics or pastels.
- Step 4: Sand the outside of the wood with fine-grit sandpaper. Then remove all of the sanding dust from the box.
- TIP: Using a dry toothbrush to dust off the box will ensure that any bits of dust are completely removed.
- Step 5: Paint an even coat of white or off-white paint onto the surface of the jar and the box with a foam paint brush. When the paint dries, add a second coat and allow the paint to dry overnight.
- Step 6: Clean the surface of the jar with rubbing alcohol to remove any dust or adhesive.