Burlesque shows, Halloween, or your wedding night can be extra saucy with a hot garter belt. Show off your sexy style by making your own.
- Step 1: Turn each piece right-side out. Turn under the open side and top stitch to close.
- Step 2: Cut 4 1-inch-wide and 2-inch-long rectangles. Fold each in half widthwise, right sides together, and pin. Sew 3 of the 4 sides on each.
- TIP: Watch that your elastic does not get caught in the seams as you sew. It should remain folded in between the two pieces of fabric when sewing.
- Step 3: Fold each tab in half. Sew the folded end of one tab to the end of each elastic garter. Sew the male part of a snap to the inside end of each tab and then repeat with a female part on the inside of the other half of the tab.
- Step 4: Mark 3 evenly spaced spots for grommets along the unconnected edges of the back panels. Hammer the grommets into place.
- FACT: Bertha Benz, wife of Karl Benz, the horseless carriage inventor, used the garter on her stocking to fix a broken ignition wire during a trip in 1888 to visit her mother.
- Step 5: Cut a length of ribbon to lace up the back. Put the belt on, cinch it up, roll on those sweet stockings, snap them into place, and strut your sexy stuff.
- Step 6: Feed the material through the gap to turn the belt right-side out. Top stitch at the points to reinforce the elastic. Finish the open edge of the belt with a top stitch.
- Step 7: Measure the length you want the garter to be for both front and back garters. Cut 2 pieces of elastic for the front and two for the back, plus 1 inch for sewing allowance. Pin the elastic pieces to the underside of the already attached fabric panels, at the points, and curl under to the front side of the fabric.
- TIP: It may be easier to cut a rectangle and then cut a triangle out of each side to shorten the top of the fabric piece.
- Step 8: Cut 2 lengths of fabric with the same measurements you took of yourself. You should have 2 trapezoids with the bottom longer than the top and a height equal to your desired measured length.
- TIP: To get the measurements just right, use a favorite pair of underwear as a guide for how you'd like the garter belt to fit around your waist.
- Step 9: Fold each piece in half lengthwise and cut along the fold line to make a front and back. Lay the two pieces on top of each other and fold in half. Mark the bottom of the fold with a pencil. Fold in half again and mark the fold bottom.
- Step 10: Unfold, keeping both pieces together. Draw a shallow, upward arching curve from the left edge of the fabric to the left mark and repeat with the right edge and the right dot. Connect the 2 dots with a similar curve, and then cut along the curves. Repeat with the other 2 pieces.
- Step 11: Cut 2 of the pieces in half for the back panels. Lay the 2 back panels, side to side, on top of one of the front panels, right sides together, and pin in place. Sew the left and right edges to attach the back panels to the front panel.
- TIP: The curves you draw will resemble a flattened W; If the curves are higher than you like, erase and start again before you cut.
- Step 12: Measure your waist or where you want the top of the garter belt to sit. Then, measure around the area you want the bottom of the belt to sit and the distance between the two.