When light shines through water—like a raindrop—it bends and breaks up into different colors to make a rainbow. Here's how to make your own rainbow indoors—no April showers required.
- Step 1: Place the mirror inside the jar or glass so that it's tilted slightly upward.
- Step 2: Put the jar or glass on a table.
- Step 3: Turn out the lights and close the curtains or shades.
- Step 4: Turn on the flashlight and shine it on the mirror. A rainbow will appear on the wall—although we can't promise a pot of gold, too.
- TIP: If the rainbow doesn't show up right away, change the angle of light from the flashlight or the angle of the mirror.
- FACT: The colors of the rainbow—red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet—always appear in this exact order.