When you’re craving a down-home meal, grab your boots and head down Texas way with this chicken fried steak recipe.
- Step 1: Whisk together the egg and buttermilk in another pie plate.
- Step 2: Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the gravy thickens.
- TIP: Keep the steaks warm while cooking the gravy by covering the plate with aluminum foil.
- TIP: Let the steaks sit for 10 to15 minutes to allow the batter to settle.
- Step 3: Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Step 4: Combine the flour, paprika, one-half teaspoon salt, and one-quarter teaspoon pepper in a pie plate.
- Step 5: Dredge each steak in the dry ingredients and shake off the excess. Dip each steak in the egg wash, and then back in the dry ingredients. Set the steaks aside.
- Step 6: Pour out all but two tablespoons of oil from the frying pan and reheat.
- Step 7: Sprinkle one tablespoon of the flour and spice mixture over the hot oil and whisk until smooth.
- Step 8: Cut the steak into four half-inch thick pieces. Use a meat mallet to tenderize and flatten down to a quarter-inch.
- Step 9: Slowly whisk in milk, scraping the browned bits from the pan, until the gravy thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 10: Fry the steaks for four to five minutes per side -- until they are golden brown -- and remove them to a plate.
- Step 11: Pour gravy over the steaks, kick back, and enjoy your down-home cooking.
- FACT: Did you know? Chicken fried steak is one of the official meals of the State of Oklahoma.