_Mujadara_ is a popular comfort food that is enjoyed throughout the Middle East. Enjoy this recipe as a side dish or on its own.
- Step 1: Add the rice to the pot. Cook until the rice is done, about 25 minutes.
- TIP: Check for tenderness -- white rice tends to cook faster than brown rice.
- Step 2: Transfer the Ital to a serving plate, then top with the caramelized onions. Enjoy with a side of pita bread, hummus, and olives.
- FACT: India is one of the largest producers and consumers of lentils in the world.
- Step 3: Add the water, sea salt, ground cumin, ground pepper, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- TIP: Splattering may occur when you add the lentils.
- Step 4: Slice two onions into 3/4 inch thick slices and cook them in olive oil until golden brown.
- Step 5: Remove the caramelized onions with a slotted spoon and place them on paper towel to drain.
- Step 6: Saute two diced onions in the same pan. Carefully add the lentils. Cook for two to three minutes to toast the lentils.
- Step 7: Rinse the lentils in a colander and set aside.