With a few simple ingredients, you can bake these classic popovers for a snack anytime.
- Step 1: Invert the tin immediately upon removing it from the oven and serve the popovers piping hot plain or with butter and jam.
- FACT: The word "popover" first appeared in print in 1876.
- Step 2: Use the 1/2 cup measure to slowly pour the batter down the center of each popover cup. Transfer the tin to the oven and bake the popovers for 20 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake until they're golden brown, about 20 minutes more.
- TIP: Be careful not to overmix the batter.
- Step 3: Gently mix the milk into the flour, stirring just until the flour is wet, leaving it lumpy. Add the salt, gently stirring it in, and then add the eggs. Crack the eggs, one at a time, into the bowl, gently mixing each one in as you add it.
- Step 4: Generously butter the popover tin while your oven preheats to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.