You don't have to wait for a visit to the candy store for sugar swizzle sticks and rock candy. Make your own at home and enjoy any flavor and color you can dream up.
- Step 1: Let the string hang in the sugar mixture, undisturbed, for seven days.
- TIP: The washer or nut should hang half an inch from the bottom of the jar.
- TIP: Sugar crystals will form on the string over the week. Check the jar each day to see how big the crystals are.
- Step 2: Remove the string from the sugar mixture, cut off the washer or nut with the scissors, and nibble on those sweet crystals of awesomeness.
- FACT: The song "Big Rock Candy Mountain", describing a homeless man's idea of paradise, was first recorded in 1928 by Harry McClintock.
- Step 3: Remove the wax paper and lay the pencil over the mouth of the jar with the string hanging in the sugar mixture.
- Step 4: Dip the string into the sugar mixture. Then pull it out and lay it on a piece of waxed paper for two days to dry.
- Step 5: Pour the sugar into the boiling water, stirring constantly until it is completely dissolved and the solution is clear.
- TIP: You can add a drop or two of candy flavoring and food coloring to make your favorite flavor.
- Step 6: Slowly pour the sugar mixture into the glass jar. Then cover the jar with wax paper.
- Step 7: Tie one end of the string to a galvanized washer or nut and the other end to the center of the pencil.
- Step 8: Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan.